Washington State Maintenance Technician 2 - In-training in Washington
The Southwest Region is currently seeking to fill multiple Maintenance Technician 2 positions located in Vancouver, Woodland, and Kelso. These positions will be responsible for maintaining highways in the Clark and Cowlitz county areas. To ensure the traveling public's safety, these positions will perform a variety of skilled labor including repairing roadways and roadway shoulders, performing snow and ice removal, establishing and maintaining culverts and catch basins, removing debris, maintaining roadside vegetation, and providing traffic control for these operations. If you are dedicated to protecting the public from driving hazards and enjoy maintenance work, consider applying to this position.
At WSDOT, we honor diversity in the workplace and support one another with respect and trust. If you would like to join our team-oriented environment and enjoy continuously changing environment, and yet with a great deal of career stability and growth, definitely consider a career opportunity with WSDOT.To learn more, please watch the following video:Why WSDOT?
These positions will perform the following work:
- Maintain roadways, including ditching, patching, and hauling materials.
- Winter snow and ice removal.
- Assist in layout and set-up of traffic control, including setting up signage, manually flagging traffic, and operating attenuator/buffer truck.
- Effectively use radio and phone equipment to communicate with other crew members and lead technician.
- Maintain roadway features such as guardrail, signs or reflective features.
- Safely operate trucks up to 54,000 GVW equipped with sanding and other large pieces of equipment.
- Negotiate rough and steep surfaces during the performance of job tasks.
- Chemically, manually, and mechanically control vegetation.
- Highway debris removal, including danger tree removal.
- Visibly demonstrate your commitment to the Department's safety program.
- Other duties as assigned.
These in-training positions offer a career path and on-the-job training, and allow you to progress through the Maintenance Technician field, and achieve the goal class of a Maintenance Technician 2. Candidates will be considered for a Maintenance Trainee, Maintenance Technician 1 or Maintenance Technician 2 depending on qualifications.
An ideal candidate at the Maintenance Trainee level will have:
- Have at least (6) six months of experience performing roadway maintenance, heavy equipment operation, truck driving, traffic control, construction, timber operations, or landscaping.
A valid driver's license, with the ability to obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) license within first 6 months of employment through our in-house training program. An ideal candidate at the Maintenance Technician 1 level will have:
At least one (1) year of experience performing roadway maintenance, heavy equipment operation, truck driving, traffic control, construction, timber operations, or landscaping.
Valid Class B CDL without air brake restriction with current medical card. An ideal candidate at the Maintenance Technician 2 level will have:
At least two (2) years of experience performing roadway maintenance, heavy equipment operation, truck driving, traffic control, construction, timber operations, or landscaping.
Valid Class A CDL with N endorsement without air brake restriction with current medical card. An ideal candidate at either level will have:
High school diploma or GED.
- A valid Traffic Control Flagger Card.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a WSDA Pesticide Applicator License within one year of employment.
- Basic computer skills to communicate and retrieve information.
- The ability and willingness to work different and/or extended shifts, days, nights and weekends, holiday, and perform emergency call-out/standby.
- Lift and transport up to 50 pounds.
- Communicate effectively with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
- The ability to report in service to assigned duty station within a 45-minutes of an after-hours call or be willing to relocate in order to meet this requirement.
Note: This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, candidates who are appointed are required to become members of the WFSE, or arrange to pay to that union a fee equivalent to its regular monthly dues. The union shop provision shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
Condition of Employment: WSDOT is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Highway Administration. For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
How to Apply: Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to provide specific information detailing your work history in the "work experience" section of the application AND answer the supplemental questions. If you are selected for an interview, you may be required to provide your driving record from the Department of Licensing.
Contact us: For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at 360-705-7053 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference recruitment number 18DOT-SWR-40266.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format contact the listed recruiter or email email@example.com.
Salary: $29,760.00 - $47,820.00 Annually
Location: Clark County - Multiple Locations, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 18DOT-SWR-40266
Closing: 3/28/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact